Sunday, October 28, 2007

Aliens v. Predator... and Dave!!

(Oki Doke... Well, I guess I ruffled a few feathers with this post... So I made a few small edits to smooth the ruffles. And in no way meant to imply any wrong doing on anyone's part {that is why I explained the "Work for Hire" clause...}. Ah well. :)

So I'm having breakfast this morning (Friday Oct 26) and I open the USA Today and go right to the entertainment section... (Front page...Bleh!... Lets get to the real news!!). I pull out the section and unfold it and there jumping out at me is a photo of an Alien-ish creature. But wait... there's something different about it. I scan over to the headline and the article is about the new Aliens v. Predator film coming out this December. Cool. So I start to read the article, but my eye keeps going back to the photo. Why does this Predalien creature look so familiar? This is the first official posts of the creature...

Then my mind goes back... to the mid 1990's. I was hired by 20th Century Fox/Dark Horse Productions to develop some Predalien creature designs for the (then viable) first incarnation of Aliens v Predator. I did a number of designs, including the one shown here. Well much to my surprise here I am looking at my designs, in the flesh, so to speak! I have posted here my original designs and the photos showing the quite distinct similarity! (Click the art and it should enlarge... maybe...)



I have no hard feelings about this. As a freelance illustrator I am aware of contractual obligations and the "work for hire" clause that is in most of these. (For those who don't know, the "work for hire" clause means basically that the work done for any particular company is completely owned by them. I sign over all rights to them on completion of the work. So they can do anything they want with it without paying me any more above the original cost of the work). So I had produced these designs for Fox and then they scrapped the production. The art went into the vaults. And I thought they would never see the light of day...

Well it appears someone might have done some digging because the similarity is striking. It would have been nice to be acknowledged for the work. I doubt I will get any credit. But I wanted to post this to show my fans and the world that sometimes lost work isn’t lost after all and good designs will always work, no matter how old they are!!

17 comments:

WriteBrain Media said...

The Devil's Candy Store recognizes your major accomplishment here!

Technista said...

You are an amazing artist and I've been buying your work for years. Yet another FOX alien film that does not credit an artist...

wmmvrrvrrmm said...

I can't get the images to enlarge. It's interesting to read this and see your design. I think the mandibles on your predalien look better than the ones on the film's creature though

jamie said...

cheeky bleeders,but that's hollywood for you.
bloodsuckers,the lot of 'em.
good to see a new update,dave... your fans in europe eagerly await some new art from you,xxx
ahem,wasted lands...anyone?

Guardian55 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elite Anubis Guard said...

The image wont enlargen. Can you post a link to a large image? :( Thanks

Ray Frenden said...

I definitely like the overall shape of your mandibles more.

jamie said...

hi dave,
it's been a while since you put up any new art.
we hope everythings okay with you,and that in reality you're busy on some new goodness...?

Jimbo said...

As a huge fan of your work I would say that your original design for this one is better looking than the "in the flesh" version here. Congrats on Fox using most of your design but HANG 'em for not giving credit where it is due! Keep up the good work!

AndrewJJ said...

Your design is immensely better. I kinda wish they had ripped you off outright, because their design sucks.
And I too would also like to see larger versions of the drawings.

Rick Fernandes said...

Wow Dave,

I an a BBBIIIGGG Fan your jobs,congratulations.You are a monstrous artists.

Oh...amazing!!!!

Rick Fernandes said...

Wow Dave,

I an a BBBIIIGGG Fan your jobs,congratulations.You are a monstrous artists.

Oh...amazing!!!!

jamie said...

hi dave and co,
just saw your doc savage print in the latest previews.
wow,that is sooo cool,even if the pic is the size of a postage stamp.
any chance of a bigger pic here?

jamie said...

hi dave,
hope you and yours are all safe and well,x
any chance of an update on of these days?
whoever told you having an online blog was a good idea,lied.
lol,i'm kidding... but let's have some new posts,grrr!

jamie said...

the art of dave dorman???
woo-hooo!!!!!!
can't wait for september.

jamie said...

lol,september came and went...
hmmm,seems to be something missing on my bookshelf?
hope all is well with you and family,
regards.
jamie.

[thg] said...

OMG...
Why am I shocked about this!?
Fox bloodsuckers!